The incline barbell bench press isn’t much different from the traditional one. Basically, the former is a version of the latter, in which the bench is set at an angle almost equal to 45 degrees. Such an inclined position of the bench not only focuses on the upper chest of your body but also on your shoulders’ front side. In this article, we have strived to include all the relevant data on the incline barbell bench press. It is advisable to have a thorough look at the content as it helps you incorporate the incline barbell bench press into your daily workout routine.
Any Idea On An Incline Bench Press Form?
To carry out an incline barbell press, an incline bench of any kind is necessary. Have a look at the following three options.
- Several gyms provide incline bench stations. It is convenient to perform incline bench presses with these stations.
- If the first option isn’t feasible, go for the second one. You can raise an adjustable bench to an angle of 45 degrees and perform the workout. Don’t forget to place the bench in a squat/power rack.
- Here is the third one. Take at least four plates and stack them on the ground. Now, in order to get a slight incline, you need to position one end of the flat utility bench on the stack.
When you opt for any of the last two options, don’t forget to test your set up. You can do so with an EMPTY barbell. This test is necessary as it helps you make sure that the bench you are using, safety pins (if being used), and the height of the bench press bar are in a position that is perfect for you.
How to Perform An Incline Barbell Bench Press?
The following is the step-by-step procedure to perform an incline chest press in your fitness workouts.
- At the beginning of the workout, you need to lie on an incline bench and place your feet flat on the floor. Moreover, your butt should be at a height of approximately 6 inches above the seat. Now, you need to start sliding down in order to place your butt on the seat, but don’t take your feet off the floor. It is necessary to tighten your core and glutes.
- In the second step of this daily exercise, you have to grab the barbell and your grip should be a little wider than the width of your shoulders. Hold onto the barbell tightly. Now, take the barbell off the rack and bring it over your shoulders. Keep your arms straight. Your starting position comes with the end of step 2.
- With the commencement of this step, take a deep breath. Now, start lowering the bar with control to the upper chest. It is necessary to have an angle of about 45 degrees between your elbows and your body.
- Finally, drive your feet into the floor and get back to the starting position by explosively pressing the bar in the upward direction.
Incline Bench Press Angle.
There is no doubt about the incline barbell bench press being a compound upper-body workout. In other words, for this movement, several joints and muscles contribute. This exercise is a variation of the traditional flat barbell bench press. Moreover, it is counted among the best workouts to build your upper body larger and stronger.
Just like the flat version, the incline barbell bench press also targets several same large muscles present in your upper body. However, due to a difference in angle, the incline bench press gets your shoulders and upper body at work. As the angle of the bench increases, your shoulders start taking a larger portion of the work. When the bench becomes completely vertical, the exercise gets converted into a shoulder press.
It all depends on your goal. If you use heavy weights for this exercise, you can build maximum strength. However, if you use the lighter ones, you can increase the power or size. Remember, it is more difficult to lift weights on an incline bench than on a flat one.
Therefore, the amount of weight you can lift on an incline bench is lesser than that you can lift on a flat bench. For this very reason, only a handful of inexperienced lifters go for the incline barbell bench press. However, you can train your weak points with this exercise and get a better well-rounded upper body easily.
Marcy Exercise Utility Bench is quite popular on Amazon. They are sturdy as well as affordable. Place an order for them and enjoy the effectiveness of incline barbell bench press workouts.
What Muscles Does Bench Press Work on?
On a primary basis, the incline barbell bench press works the upper portion of your chest. Moreover, this exercise works your triceps (your arm’s backside) and the anterior deltoid (your shoulder’s front portion) as well. When this exercise is performed correctly, it is no less than a full-body movement in which you use your glutes, large muscles present in your back, and small muscles present in your shoulder.
Common Mistakes in Incline Barbell Bench Press.
1. If you Lower the Bar Towards your Tummy.
This common mistake people commit while performing an incline barbell bench press. When it comes to the bar path in case of a bench press, you need to take the bar from over your shoulders and while taking it down, lower the bar to just under your chest. However, the bar path present in the case of a bench press causes problems in an incline barbell bench press. The angle of the lift triggers this mistake.
2. If you Flare your Arms.
It isn’t rare to experience shoulder pain while working out on an incline press. At first, you must check the position of your elbows. If your arms are flaring out to the sides, then it is undeniable that your shoulders are experiencing tons of stress. Moreover, with this common mistake, you also lose the optimal position which can produce strength.
3. If you get the Bar Bouncing Off your Chest.
This mistake must be avoided at all costs. This mistake which is a strict no-no in every bench press variation. It is manageable if you lower the bar towards your tummy. However, if you bounce the bar, especially with the heavier weights, it can be very dangerous.
How to Incorporate It in Your Exercise Routine?
1. Incline Barbell Bench Press Strength Workout.
You need to perform an incline bench press for 5 sets with 4 reps in each.
2. Incline Bench Press Superset Workout.
You need to carry out
Incline bench press for 4 sets with 8 reps in each and,
Pull-ups for 4 sets with 8 sets in each.
Incline barbell bench press is the current trend. This popular and effective compound upper-body exercise is capable enough to get multiple muscles and joints in action. In comparison to the flat version, this incline workout is much more effective in targeting the same large muscles present in your upper body.
When it comes to building a larger as well as stronger upper body, don’t think twice before opting for this exercise.