A resistance band is a piece of unique gym equipment that you can use in several exercises. This article seeks to share various resistance band back exercises. Continue to read about the exercises and their advantages in keeping your lower back body fit. By the end of the article, you would have learned how to exercise using the band.
Resistance Band Lower Back Exercises.
Using a resistance band, you can do several exercises that can strengthen your back, build muscle mass, and relieve you of back pain. In addition, the workouts that target the lower back must exercise the core muscles. Below are some of the exercises that you can do using the resistance band.
Hip raise exercise is good for relieving lower back pain. In addition to that, it also tightens the abs and strengthens the lower back muscles.
Hip raise is also known as the bridge exercise. To do the exercise follow the steps below;
- Lie down on the floor facing up with your feet planted on the floor and the knees bent.
- Tie your lower thighs with a resistance band
- Place your arms on the floor along your body with the palm facing down
- Lift your hips up with your shoulders and arms on the floor
- Your body must at least make a straight line from your knees up to your shoulders. Then balance with your heels
- Finally, lower your body to the starting position and do about 15 reps
Superman With Resistance Band.
This exercise is good for strengthening core, glutes, and hamstrings. It also builds muscle mass of the lower back muscles. To do the exercise follow these steps;
- Tie your feet with a resistance band. Then lie on the floor facing down while holding the resistance band.
- To start the move, push your arms in front of you while lifting the chest and legs from the floor.
- Finally, bring back the arms and the feet to the starting position
This exercise targets the erector spinae muscles and other lower back muscles. Follow the steps below to do the exercise
- Hold the resistance band by its handle with both hands.
- Step on the resistance band and pull it up over your back with your hands to the shoulders.
- Then bend at the waist as if you are taking bowing.
- Then stand up to the starting position
Resistance Band Exercises For Back Pain.
If you having some back pain you can try several exercises depending on the severity of the pain. However, some exercises might worsen your pain. Therefore exercise with caution. Below are some of the exercises that you might do;
This exercise targets abs, hamstrings, and glutes. As you exercise your glutes, your back muscles also get worked. For instance, when you lift your body off the ground, you tighten your abs. This has an impact on your back muscles. In addition, doing the bridge exercise stabilizes the spinal. Furthermore, there are many ways of doing the bridge. Below is another way of doing the bridge;
- Lie down with your back on the floor
- Place the resistance band across your waist and hold it with both hands. Your hands must remain on the floor while holding the band
- Then lift your back from the floor to form a bridge. The shoulders must remain on the floor.
- Balance your body with the heels and the shoulders.
The trunk extension targets the spinal muscles. As such, if you are suffering from back pain, this exercise can be your pain relief. Follow the steps below;
- Lie on the floor facing down
- Hold the resistance band with your arms stretched apart above your head. Your legs must also be stretched apart
- Lift your head, legs, and arms up from the ground.
- Lower your hands and feet to the starting position
Hip Rotation Stretch.
This exercise stretches your lower body muscles. Your lower back gets stretched and this can reduce back pain. In addition, exercise improves hip mobility. To do the hip rotation exercise follow the steps below;
- Tie the resistance band around your right foot sole
- Then place your left foot against the wall
- Lift the left leg up to form a 90-degree angle
- Hold the resistance band with your right hand. The right hand must go underneath your head.
- Use your left hand to pull the right leg using the resistance band. Pull the right foot towards the shoulder. Keep the left foot straight against the wall as you pull the right foot.
Resistance Band Exercises For Back And Shoulders.
Stiff Legged Deadlift.
A standard deadlift targets almost the entire major body muscles. More so, deadlift workout exercises the shoulders, abs, core, back muscles, and more. Likewise, stiff legged deadlift also exercises similar muscles. To do the resistance bend, follow these steps;
- Step onto the middle of the resistance band and hold the ends of the band with both hands.
- Straighten your body to a standing position
- Bend your body to a starting position
Wide Stance Shrug.
The exercise is good for working the neck and upper back muscles. If you have back pain, the exercise can also make you feel better. Follow the steps in the text elbow to do the wide stance shrug;
- Step onto the resistance band and hold the handles with your hands
- Stretch your legs to be wide apart while standing on the resistance band.
- Then pull the resistance band up to shrug your shoulders
Doing the face pull moves works the shoulders and the back muscles. In addition, the exercise can also lower back pain. This is how you do it.
- It down with your legs straightened in front fo you
- Hoo the resistance band to your feet
- Hold the band handles above your knees
- Pull the resistance band towards your face
- Finally, lower your arms to the starting position
Resistance Band Back Exercises For Upper Back Pain
The pull apart exercise is good for exercising the shoulders and the upper back muscles. As you pull apart the resistance band, your back muscles get massaged and relieved of the pain. In addition, squeezing shoulder blades while pulling the band apart is good for relieving back pain. Follow the steps below to do the pull-apart workout.
- While standing with feet on shoulder-width apart, hold a resistance band with your hands
- Stretch the band, pulling it apart and squeezing the shoulder blades
- Finally, bring back the arms to the starting position
This exercise is also good for relieving back pain. In addition to that, it is also good for working the arms and the chest. Follow the steps below to the standing row properly;
- Stand on your feet and hook the band to a secure object and hold the band handles with both your hands
- Your arms must be stretched and straightened in front of you while holding the band
- Pull the resistance band to your chest until your arms are folded with elbows pointing downward.
- Finally, return the arms to a starting position
This exercise stretches your entire back relieving it of stiff muscles. The back pain can be relieved as you stretch your legs. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise properly;
- Hook the resistance band on your left ankle. Hook the same band on your right foot
- Kneel down as you prepare to be on your fours. Plant your both hands on the floor and be on your fours.
- Use your right leg to push against the band. Push the leg further to straighten it.
- Finally, bring back the right foot to the starting position
- You can do at least 15 reps before changing the foot
Resistance Band Bicep Exercises.
For your biceps and stronger arms, you can use the band to pump them. More so, can build muscle mass using the resistance band to exercise your arms. Below are some of the exercises that you can do;
Resistance Band Bicep Curl.
The resistance band bicep curl is good for exercising the lower arm and upper muscles. Furthermore, biceps muscles found at the upper arm gain muscle mass through the resistance band bicep curl. Below are the ways to do the exercise;
- Stand on a band holding one handle in each hand. Your arms must be hanging down before starting
- After that, pull the arms up to squeeze the biceps
- Finally, lower the arms to the starting position
This exercise does not only target the arm muscles by it also works the shoulders as well. Follow the steps below to do the Y raise exercise.
- Hold resistance band handles; one in each hand.
- Step on to the band with one foot
- Start pulling the band up to the head. Your hands can go over the head as you pull the resistance band
- Finally, lower the hands the starting position
Resistance Band Shoulders.
You can use the resistance band to strengthen your shoulders. There are several resistance band exercises that target the shoulders. Some of them have been discussed above. In addition, the exercises can also lower injuries and relieve shoulder pain. Below are some of the exercises that you can give a try to exercise your shoulders.
Seated W Rows.
As you twist your shoulders, you can relieve your shoulders. If your shoulders are stiff, you can do the seated W row exercise to lessen the pressure on your shoulders. Furthermore, the exercise can prevent your shoulders from injuries. Interestingly, you will feel like you are shrugging off pain from your shoulders. To do the exercise, follow these steps;
- Seat down on the floor and tie your foot with a resistance band.
- Make sure that your feet are straightened against the floor.
- Hold the resistance handles with your hands
- Pull your arms up to and bend them with the palms facing down in front of you. The angle in between your upper arm and lower arm must be around 90 degrees.
- Twist your arm pulling it up
- Finally, lower it to the starting position
There are several resistance band back exercises that you can do. The text above has shared a variety of exercises that you can do when you are suffering from back pain.
Using the resistance band, you can build your body muscles, strengthen your body, and keep yourself fit. Above, you can learn how to do resistance band exercises that target the shoulders, back, biceps, and lower back.
You can share your experience on resistance band back exercises. Which one do you like and why?