If you are looking to push more weight, then you need to develop a strong and powerful triceps with the help of dumbbell tricep workout. The triceps is an important muscle in the upper part of your body as stronger triceps help you gain more massive and robust biceps. By choosing the right pair of dumbbells along with correct exercise form and technique can be quite useful to grow your muscle strength.
If you are looking to increase your muscle strength, we’ll be looking at some the best dumbbell only best tricep exercises for building stronger triceps.
Why Is The Dumbbell Tricep Workout Underrated?
We can see that triceps training is underrated by many, but fitness experts recommend this workout is important for building muscle strength. It is mainly because most of the people focus on building their biceps and ignore their triceps. But the irony is that if you want to develop your biceps, it is crucial to build your triceps.
Because only stronger triceps can assist you in developing a muscular and powerful biceps. Experts recommend that good triceps workouts need to be always part of every strength training routine.
Do you know that your biceps contribute to only 1/3 of your arms? But it is the triceps that constitute almost 2/3 of your big arms. Taking care of strengthening the triceps will mainly help you to build the upper mass to a great extent. Why you need big triceps?
What Are The Benefits Of Building Mass On Your Triceps Using The Best Tricep Exercises?
Building mass on your triceps comes with a host of advantages including:
- Strong and powerful triceps not only build mass but also stabilize the shoulder joints to a great extent.
- Stronger triceps mean that you will able to lift heavy loads than usual. Hence, if your goal is to build larger biceps, then you need to concentrate on building your triceps first
- It helps in muscle stabilization and activation
- Helps in eliminating strength imbalances
- Various options available to intensify your workout sessions
- Increased range of motion
- Enables a lot of freedom of movement
The Anatomy of The Triceps.
The major function of triceps is to provide a strong extension to your elbow. Moreover, it also plays a massive role in providing stability to the shoulders when upper body muscles get involved during a physical activity.
If you are looking to build a bigger triceps, it means you are looking to develop the three triceps heads that include the long head, lateral head, and the medial head. It is the long head that we usually see when looking at a person’s triceps.
However, if you are looking to develop all these three heads, then you need to concentrate on various types of exercises, including the long head tricep exercises that provide importance to these specific heads.
Top 8 Dumbbell Triceps Workouts for Muscle Strength.
1. Neutral Grip Press.
To get started with this workout, you will need a pair of dumbbells, and it is like your traditional dumbbell bench press workout.
- First, lie down on the bench on your back holding the dumbbells close to your chest
- Now slowly lift the dumbbell up and down above your chest while all the time the elbow is tucked. It is to ensure that muscle contraction is focused only on your triceps and not on your chest
- Ensure that you bring the weight down only till your chest level and not any lower than that.
- Do this for 10-12 reps
2. Overhead Triceps Extension (Two-arm).
Well, like the previous workout, for this overhead dumbbell extension exercise, you may need a pair of dumbbells for this workout too.
- You can either choose to sit down on a bench or stand to perform this workout
- Grab the inner/middle portion of the dumbbell and lift the weights behind your head
- To start the exercise, gently bring the weights overhead and then bring it down behind the back of your head
- Ensure that the elbows are always tucked closely to your head to enable the movement of the weights
- Do this work out for 10-12 reps for around 3-4 sets
3. Standing Single Arm Kickbacks.
The standing singe arm kickback routine helps in developing strong triceps and strengthening the muscles in it.
- To get started, bend down so that your body is positioned parallel to the ground
- You can use one of your hands to support it by grabbing your knees
- Ensure that the arm that provides support to your body is tucked close to your body all the time
- The other arm holding the dumbbell will move it in a forward/backward motion
- Do this work out for 10-15 reps
4. Single Arm Overhead Extension.
This exercise is like the overhead dumbbell tricep extension, but the only difference here is you will be using only one arm. This workout mainly helps you to focus on each arm separately.
- To get started, hold the dumbbell in one of your hands and hold it above your head.
- Ensure that the upper part of the arm is in a parallel position to your body
- Now gently lower the arm downwards behind the back of your head.
- Do this work out for 10-15 reps
5. Lying Dual Arm Triceps Kickbacks.
For the next exercise, you will need lightweight dumbbells and a bench. In addition, ensure that the bench is at a 45-degree angle like how you do an incline bench press exercise
- Lie down on the bench with chest facing the ground
- Hold dumbbells on both hands
- Ensure that the arms are tucked close to your body
- Using your forearms, gently lift the dumbbell up and down in slow motion
- Do this tricep exercises for 8-10 reps
6. Lying Skull Crushers.
Called French presses, the lying skull crushers is another top tricep dumbbell workout.
- Lie on your back on a bench
- Hold dumbbells on both your hands and lift it above your head
- Now gently lower the weights downwards. Ensure that only your forearms are moving.
- When you lower the weights, ensure there is complete contraction to the triceps
- Do this 10-15 reps.
7. Incline Dumbbell Kickbacks.
The incline dumbbell tricep kickbacks primarily help in strengthening the long head of your triceps
- Get started by lying on the bench with your chest facing down, but here you need to lean on the inclined portion of the bench
- Grab the weights on both of your hands and ensure that your hands are parallel to your body
- Now sing your arm forward to bring the weight close to your chest and move back to the original position
- In the same way, do this for 8-10 reps
8. Close Grip Dumbbell Push-Ups.
The close grip workout is another alternative to your dumbbell exercise for your triceps. This exercise is almost like your traditional pushup workouts.
- Place the dumbbell in front of your body
- In a similar fashion, do your pushups. But here, instead of supporting your body on your hands, place your hands on the weights. It will provide more stability and support.
- Now get started by lowering your back up and down
- In a similar fashion, do this for 5-8 reps
Want to check out more tricep workouts?
We hope that the information provided above is enough to clarify all your doubts about the dumbbell tricep workout for muscle building.
Also, please post your comments and suggestions in the feedback section below.