Having that are broad keeps people doing different exercises to attain those results. In this article, there are different exercises that specifically target the front delts muscles. As such, if you want to make your front delts bigger and lean, you can spoil yourself with many and different exercises that you can do. Some exercises that are good for developing and strengthening your front delts include the cable front raise workout. In addition to that, you can do other exercises that require the cable machine such as single arm raise, cable lateral raise, and more. However, this article also gives alternative exercises that you can do in place of the cable front raise workout.
What Are Front Delts.
The front delts are also known as the anterior deltoids. You can see these muscles in front of the shoulders. The delts are used to make the arm move, pull, and push things.
Most exercises that hit the front deltoids are done with the arms in front of you. The exercises that make you pull, push, and amongst others engage the front delts. Some exercises include cable front arm raises, dumbbell Arnold press, dumbbell arm raises, military press, and more. Below are some exercises that you can do to make the front delts bigger.
Single Arm Cable Front Raise.
The single arm cable front raise is good at exercising the delts. It is an isolation exercise that exercises one side of your upper body independently. In addition, other muscles that the single arm cable front raise work include lateral deltoid, serratus anterior, and upper pectoralis major. To do the exercise; follow the instructions below;
- Start by setting up the cable pulley machine. Attach the handle to a low cable pulley.
- Grab the handle with one hand and face away from the machine and step forward until the cable is fully stretched with the arm left behind your body.
- Balance your feet by putting the one in front of the other. If you are holding the cable with the left hand, put the right foot in front of the left foot.
- Raise the cable handle forward and then upward until the arm is a bit above the horizontal. You should move your arms; make sure that you keep your head up and your body still.
- Pause in that position and count up to 2.
- After that, lower the handle to the starting position and make sure that you inhale. If you feel any pain, avoid raising the arm too high.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Cable Lateral Raise.
This is another isolation exercise that targets the lateral deltoid. In addition to that, other muscles that get engaged during the workout include the anterior delts, upper trap, posterior deltoid, serratus anterior, and the supraspinatus muscles. You can do the lateral raise exercise using the weight such as the dumbbells. To do the cable lateral raise exercise, follow the steps below;
- Start by attaching the handle to the lower pulley and then stand beside the cable machine.
- Grasp the handle with one hand and then let the other hand grab the tower.
- Keep your core tight and your back flat as you do the moves.
- Raise the handle up to the shoulder level.
- Pause in that position for a second and lower the handle to the starting position.
- Repeat the move before exercising the other shoulder.
Cable Front Raise Shoulder.
The cable raise shoulder workout targets the shoulder muscles such as the anterior deltoids. In addition to that, the other muscles that are used include the arm, traps, serratus anterior, and more. This workout is good at strengthening those muscles. To do the cable front raise shoulder exercise, follow the instructions below;
- Start by setting the cable machine and attach the handle to a low pulley.
- Grasp the handle with over hand grip and stand upright with the cable in between your legs.
- Keep your shoulders back and brace your core to lift the arm up in front of you.
- Lift the arm up until it reaches the shoulder height.
- Pause for two to three seconds and return the arm to the starting position.
- Repeat to exercise one arm before exercising the other one.
Cable Front Raise Rope.
The cable front raise rope is a strength exercise that targets all the sides of shoulders. It works the front, side, and rear shoulder muscles. You will need a rope and a cable machine to do the exercise. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise.
- Start by placing the rope on the lowest pulley.
- Let the rope be in between your legs and grasp it with both hands.
- Bring the rope up to the waist position. This is the starting position.
- Pull the rope up to the shoulder height position and remember to keep your arms straight.
- Then return the rope to the starting position.
- Repeat to meet your desirable sets and reps.
Cable Front Raise Muscles Worked.
The cable front raises primarily targets the shoulder muscles such as the anterior delts, posterior delts, pecs, serratus anterior, and more. The exercise develops and strengthens these muscles. In addition to that, the cable front raise also adds muscle mass. Other muscles that get engaged when pulling the cable rope include the arm muscles, core, and back muscles.
Cable Front Raise Chest.
The cable front raise chest is good for exercising the deltoid anterior and pecs. In addition, it is also an isolation exercise that works the chest and arm muscles. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Start by setting the cable machines and make sure that the handles are on a low pulley cable machine.
- Grab the cable handles with both hands and your arms at your sides. You must be in between the cable machines.
- Then slowly pull up the handles to bring them together up to the chest and squeeze your lower chest muscles.
- Pause in that position for a second or two before returning the hands t the starting position.
Cable Front Raise Alternatives.
As you now know the muscles that get worked by the cable front raise, there are different exercises that you can do to target similar muscles. Alternative exercises to cable front raise include neutral grip dumbbell overhead press, barbell front raise, dumbbell front raise, Arnold press, and more. You can follow the instructions provided below to do these exercises;
Neutral Grip Dumbbell Overhead Press.
This exercise targets the anterior delt. In addition to that, other muscles that get exercised include the triceps brachii, serratus anterior, traps, lateral delts, pectoralis major, and arms muscles. You can do this exercise seated or standing. To do the exercise follow the steps and tips below;
- Sit on a chair or bench and hold the dumbbells in both hands. You can place the dumbbells on your knees.
- Lift the dumbbells up to the shoulder height and keep your elbows tucked by your body. Make sure that your palms are facing each other.
- Then press the weights up over your head until your arms are fully stretched. Don’t forget to exhale as you drive the weights up.
- Return the weights to the starting position and also don’t forget to inhale. Make sure that you keep your neck and back in a neutral position.
- Repeat to meet your intended number of reps.
Barbell Front Raise.
The barbell front raise is a strength exercise that targets the shoulder muscles. Some of the shoulder muscles include anterior delts, lateral delts, and others. As you drive the barbell up, you also engage other muscles such as the serratus anterior near your ribcage, and the arm muscles also bear the weight. The legs also get engaged as you balance on the floor to drive up the barbell. To do the exercise, follow the instructions below;
- Stand with your feet at shoulder width apart. Grab the barbell with an over hand grip and rest it in front of your thighs.
- Drive the barbell up until your arms are parallel to the ground and fully stretched. Pause for a second in that position. Keep your back flat and the core tight.
- Lower the barbell to the thighs level.
- Repeat as much as you can.
The Arnold press hit the three heads of deltoids. The muscles get strengthened and developed to look bigger and lean. Therefore, it makes it a good alternative to the cable front raise. You can do the exercise while seated or standing. To do the exercise, follow the instructions below;
- Holding dumbbells in your hands, stand with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Bend your arms and bring the dumbbells up to the shoulder height. Your palms must be facing you.
- Then turn your arms to let your palms face away from your body.
- Press the dumbbells up until your arms are fully stretched. Pause a second or two in that position before returning to the starting position.
- Return your arms to the shoulder height. Then repeat as much as you can.
In conclusion, there are various exercises that you can do to make your front delts bigger and attractive. In the above passages, some exercises that you can do involve the use of the cable machine and the weights. For instance, the exercises such as the cable front raise, cable lateral raise, single arm cable front raise are good for strengthening the front delt muscles.
However, you can also take advantage of the weight and do exercises such as dumbbell front raise, barbell front raise, Arnold press, and others to build the shoulder muscles. All these exercises and many others are outlined above in detail.
Which exercises do you do to make your front delts bigger? Share your experiences below.