The bent over reverse flys ideally work the upper body muscles such as the rear delts, traps, rhomboids, and anterior serratus. As such, the bent over reverse fly is good for working the upper back body muscles. It doesn’t target the entire back muscles. In this article, there is a list of muscles that are worked by the reverse fly workout. Furthermore, there are different variations of reverse flys that you can do mentioned in the following paragraphs.
In addition to that, there are also alternative exercises that you can do in place of the bent over reverse fly exercise. By the end of the article; you will be in a better position to choose an exercise that can work your back muscles.
Bent Over Reverse Fly Muscles Worked.
- Deltoids – These are shoulder muscles. Primarily the bent over reverse fly targets the delts. It makes them stronger. Stronger deltoids reduce shoulder injury risks.
- Trapezius – The trapezius also get worked and this improves the body posture
- Teres muscles – the muscles are responsible for the extension of the shoulders. In addition to that; it is responsible for the rotation of the shoulder joint.
- Anterior serratus – these are other back muscles that you work by doing the bent over reverse fly exercise. The anterior serratus is responsible when you move your arms up and down. Strengthening the anterior serratus makes you move your upper body normally without any risks of injuries.
Bent Over Fly Muscles Worked.
The bent over fly works the muscles similar to the bent over reverse fly muscles. Below are the muscles that you can exercise when doing the bent over fly exercise;
- Posterior deltoids – the posterior deltoids are the main target when doing the bent over fly exercise. These muscles are located at the back of your shoulder, and they are responsible for the extension of your arm. The use of dumbbells challenges the muscles and it also strengthens them.
- Rhomboids – the exercise also works the rhomboids. The rhomboids are located on your upper back in between the shoulders, starting from the neck going down to the middle of your back. The muscle necessitates the movement of the limb. In addition to that, it makes the scapula and shoulder girdle stable.
- Traps – you also engage the traps muscles when doing the bent over fly. The trapezius muscles are located on your upper back, and they are responsible for the movement of the scapula. In addition to that, they stabilize the scapula. The upper part of traps can be functional when you extend your neck. Therefore, the bent over fly is good for keeping the back muscles in good condition. And that can lower injury risks.
- Anterior serratus – the anterior serratus also gets worked when doing this exercise. These muscles function when you move your upper body, shoulders, and arms.
Bent Over Reverse Fly Resistance Band.
By doing this exercise, you primarily target the posterior deltoids. Posterior deltoids are shoulder muscles that are responsible for the movement and stabilization of your scapula. In addition to that other muscles that you work include the middle trapezius and rhomboid muscles. In addition to that, using a resistance band gives additional resistance when training. To do the bent over reverse fly resistance band exercise; follow the instructions below;
- Holding a resistance band with both hands using a pronated grip; stand with your feet at hip width apart and keep your arms hanging towards the floor.
- Bend your waist to make your torsos parallel to the ground.
- Then pull the band apart until your arms are fully stretched by your sides, or they are parallel to the ground.
- Return your arms to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Bent Over Reverse Dumbbell Fly Muscles Worked.
The bent over dumbbell reverse fly is an isolation exercise that strengthens the shoulder muscles. In particular, the exercise targets the posterior deltoids. These muscles are located on the back of your shoulder, and they function to stabilize the shoulders. Other muscles that you work include the traps. The traps also necessitate the movement of your scapula, neck, and arms.
More so, the other muscles that you work include the triceps. The use of a dumbbell when doing the exercise makes you pump the triceps. Therefore, this exercise strengthens and adds muscle mass to various upper body muscles. Furthermore, other muscles that you work include the anterior serratus.
This exercise can be done seated and it is called; seated bent over dumbbell reverse fly. You also work the same muscles as the bent over reverse dumbbell fly.
Bent Over Reverse Fly 21s.
This is another exercise that targets the posterior delts. In addition to that, it works the arms, anterior serratus, traps, and rhomboids muscles. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Stand with your feet at hip width apart and hold dumbbells in your hands.
- Bend to make your upper body parallel to the ground and let the dumbbells rest close to your knees with palms facing your body.
- Do the first 7 reps by raising the dumbbells until your arms are parallel to the ground.
- Then do the next 7 reps holding the dumbbells with a neutral grip. The palms must be facing each other.
- The last round of the 7 reps can be done as a forward raise, holding dumbbells with a neutral grip.
Bent Over Dumbbell Row.
These exercises ideally work the muscles located on your back and shoulders. In particular, the muscles that get worked include rhomboids, traps, posterior deltoid, lats, teres minor and teres major. You do the same movements when picking objects from the floor. Therefore, this exercise is good for making you perform the day-to-day activities of picking and moving things from one place to another. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- While holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Bend your waist so that you form a 45-degree angle. Do not bend yourself more than that.
- Keep your spine neutral and engage your core. Your arms must be hanging towards the floor and fully extended.
- Start rowing by bringing up the weights towards your rib cage. Pause and squeeze your shoulder blades when the weights are up.
- Return to the starting position.
Bent Over Reverse Fly Cable Alternative.
There are various exercises that you can do as a substitute for the bent over reverse fly cable. The exercise should work the same muscles as the bent over reverse cable fly. Below are the exercises that you can do.
Cable Face Pull.
- Firstly, attach the rope attachment with dual handles to a high pulley.
- Choose the weight that you are comfortable with.
- Stand with your feet at hip-width distance apart in front of pulley and grasp the handles. Make sure that your palms are facing in.
- Then move back until your arms are fully extended.
- Pull the rope towards your face until your shoulder blades are pinched.
- Return the arms to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Bent Over Face Pull.
This exercise works different muscles. Primarily, it works the shoulder muscles such as delts. Other muscles that you hit when doing this exercise include; traps, lats, lower back, abs, glutes, and hamstrings. To do the exercise, follow the steps below.
- Attach the bar handle to the rope and then make sure that the rope is on a low pulley.
- Grasp the handle with an overhand grip.
- Step back until your arms are fully stretched.
- Bend your knees a bit and then bend your waist to make your upper body vertically.
- Pull the handle towards your face.
- Return the handle to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Reverse Fly Vs Row.
When making a flying motion, you use the shoulder muscles particularly the rear delt muscles. When doing the reverse fly, your arms get tired faster than your back muscles. Then the dumbbell row primarily works the lats. It also works the back muscles such as the rhomboids and trapezius. Therefore, the reverse fly exercise works the shoulder muscles more than the row exercise. The dumbbell row hits almost the entire back muscles in comparison to the reverse fly which works the biceps and shoulder muscles.
Strengthening back muscles is good for improving your body posture and to do your day-to-day activities without a challenge. The bent over reverse fly exercise is good for the upper body muscles. The exercise primarily works the rear delt muscles located on the back of your shoulders.
In addition to that, other muscles that get worked include the traps, rhomboids, and anterior serratus. Therefore, it can be said that this exercise is good for the back muscles located on the upper body. There are various exercises and variations that you can do in place of the bent over reverse fly. Some of them include the seated bent over row, bent over dumbbell row, bent over reverse fly and many others mentioned above.
Which exercises do you do to keep your back muscles fit? Share your thoughts below;