If you want to make your triceps and chest bigger and stronger, you should give the dumbbell floor press a try. This exercise targets the triceps, pectorals, shoulder, abs, and forearms. The article discusses the muscles worked by the dumbbell floor press in detail. In addition to that, there is a list of floor press variations such as single arm floor press, glute bridge floor press, and more.
More so, the article also gives the floor press alternatives that you can do such as incline dumbbell press, barbell overhead press, and many others. As such, by the end of the article, you will be in a good position knowing the benefits of the floor press exercises.
Dumbbell Floor Press Muscles Worked.
The dumbbell floor press targets upper body muscles. You use upper body muscles more than any other muscle. In addition, the exercise is good at building the chest muscles. Below are the muscles that you work when doing the floor press;
Triceps – Primarily the floor press targets the triceps muscles. As you press the weight up and down you definitely strengthen the triceps. In addition to that, you also improve the tricep muscle mass.
Pectorals – Pectorals which are well known as the pecs are chest muscles. The press floor exercise is good for developing the pecs. It makes them stronger and bigger.
Shoulders – You also engage your shoulder muscles as you press the weight up. The shoulders can be strengthened to reduce the risks of shoulder injuries.
Abs – the floor press is also good for working the abs. You brace your abs when lifting the weight up and down, thereby making the muscles stronger and lean.
Anterior serratus – the anterior serratus also get engaged when you do the exercise. The weight challenges the muscles to be stronger. Additionally, it also adds muscle mass.
Dumbbell Floor Press Benefits.
The floor press dumbbell comes with various benefits. Besides strengthening the upper body muscles, the workout has the following benefits;
1. Increase Muscles Mass.
The use of weight makes your muscles bigger. The muscles that gain muscle mass are the pecs and the triceps. They get wired a lot as you lift the weight. And doing more reps can yield the best results.
2. Strengthens Muscles.
The load is also good for strengthening the upper body muscles. You use your shoulders and triceps to press the weight up. As such, the exercise is good for strengthening those muscles as you pressurize them with weight.
3. Lower Shoulder Injuries.
By strengthening your shoulders, the exercise lowers the risks of a shoulder injury. It makes your arms and shoulders be strong to do day to day activities of carrying and pushing things from one place to another.
4. Improves Grip Strength.
The floor press is also good for strengthening your forearms. As such, it makes your arms manage weight lifting and griping.
Dumbbell Floor Fly.
The dumbbell floor fly is also good at strengthening the pecs muscles. In addition to that, the exercise works the arms, shoulders, and back muscles as they are used to stabilizing weight. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Firstly, lie on the floor facing up and hold a dumbbell in each hand. Let the dumbbells rest on your thighs with the palms facing each other.
- Bend your knees and keep your feet planted on the floor.
- Press the dumbbells up above your chest with your palms facing each other.
- Bend your elbows slightly and lower your arms to the ground until you feel your chest is being stretched. Lower the weight until the dumbbells are at your chest level.
- Return the arms to the starting position above your chest. The dumbbells must not touch each other.
- Repeat the movement to reach the number of your preferable reps.
Dumbbell Floor Press Triceps.
As mentioned above, the dumbbell press on the floor is ideal for making your triceps bigger and stronger. Therefore, if you want to chisel your triceps, you should give this dumbbell floor chest press exercise a try. The weight is good for building muscle mass.
Single Arm Dumbbell Floor Press.
This is a variation of the dumbbell press on the floor. Like the press floor exercise, the single arm dumbbell press is good for working your triceps, chest, and shoulder muscles. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Lie on your back on the floor and bend your knees to form a 45 or 30 degree. Keep your feet planted on the floor.
- Grab a dumbbell with one hand and keep the other free hand planted on the floor.
- Raise the dumbbell up above your chest with your upper arm lying flat on the floor to form a 90-degree angle. The palms must be facing forward.
- Then press the dumbbell up until your arm is fully extended. Pause before lowering your arms to the starting position.
- Repeat on one arm and then switch to exercise the other arm.
Dumbbell Floor Press Workout.
As discussed above, the exercise is ideal for strengthening the triceps and making the chest bigger. You need a pair of dumbbells to do the exercise. To do the exercise, follow the instructions below;
- Lie on the floor on your back and keep your feet planted on the floor with your knees bent.
- Grasp the dumbbells with an overhand grip. Let your upper arms rest on the floor and hold the dumbbells above the chest to form a 90-degree angle.
- Press the dumbbells up until your arms are fully extended above your chest. Pause and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Lower the dumbbells to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement to reach the number of your intended sets and reps.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press.
The dumbbell shoulder press is good for strengthening the shoulder muscles. Besides wring the shoulders, you can also strengthen your arms. The exercise can be done while seated or standing. Interestingly, besides using the dumbbells, you can use a barbell to do the shoulder press exercise. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- Holding dumbbells in your hands, stand with your feet at shoulder width apart and keep your back straight.
- Bring the dumbbells up to shoulder height and make sure the palms are facing away.
- Drive the dumbbells above the head and then pause with your arms fully stretched.
- Return the dumbbells to the shoulder height position.
- You can do 10 to 15 reps.
Dumbbell Close Grip Floor Press.
The dumbbells close grip floor press exercise is a floor press variation that works the chest and triceps. The difference with the dumbbell floor press is the position of the arms. The close grip works the triceps more than the standard floor press. Therefore, if you want to realize the results faster, you should try the dumbbell close grip floor press. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells, lie on your back on the floor. Bend your knees slightly and keep your feet planted on the floor.
- Bring the dumbbells above your chest and make sure that the upper arms are lying on the floor by your sides.
- Press the dumbbells up towards the ceiling until your arms are fully extended.
- Return them down to the starting position.
- Repeat to reach the number of your preferable sets and reps.
Glute Bridge Dumbbell Floor Press.
This is another floor press variation. The glute bridge dumbbell floor press also works the triceps and chest in a challenging way. To do the exercise; follow the instructions below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells, lie on your back on the floor. Your upper arms must be resting on the floor to form a 90-gree angle with the lower arm above your chest.
- Bend your legs and keep your feet planted on the floor to form a 90-degree angle.
- Brace your hamstrings and glutes to lift hour hips off the floor.
- Then press the dumbbells up towards the ceiling until the arms are fully extended. Squeeze your pecs and triceps at the top of the movement.
- Lower the arms to the starting position.
- Repeat to meet the number of your preferable sets and reps.
Dumbbell Floor Press Alternatives.
There are various exercises that you can do as a dumbbell floor substitute. The exercise must also be good at strengthening and developing your triceps and chest. Below are some exercises that you can try as a floor press substitute;
Incline Dumbbell Press.
The incline dumbbell press is good for developing your triceps and chest muscles. To do the exercise follow the steps below;
- Sit on the edge of the bench holding the dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing each other or facing in.
- Lie on the bench and face upward bring the dumbbells to your chest.
- Press the dumbbells up as high as you can. Make sure that your arms are fully extended.
- Then lower the weights to your chest level.
- Push back the dumbbells.
- Repeat the motion as much as you can.
Barbell Overhead Press.
- Standing with your feet at shoulder width apart; rack the barbell and rest it in your hands close to your collarbone.
- Engage your abs and press the barbell up until your arms are fully stretched.
- Finally, return the barbell to your collarbone position.
- Repeat the movement.
The dumbbell floor press is ideal for making your chest and triceps bigger and stronger. The exercise primarily targets the triceps. In addition to that, it also works the pecs, forearms, abs, and anterior serratus. Furthermore, the exercise is good for developing those muscles making them stronger to do the day-to-day activities of pushing, pulling, and carrying objects from one place to another.
There are many variations of floor press that you can. For instance, you can do the single arm floor press, glute bridge floor press, and many others. Therefore, if you cannot do the floor press for various reasons, you can always do other exercises such as the dumbbell incline dumbbell press, barbell overhead press, and many others.
Which floor press workout do you prefer doing and why? Share your experiences below.