The number of curls is determined by various things. In the following paragraphs, you will learn about the things that you should consider when it comes to the number of curls. In addition to that, there is a list of bicep curl exercises that you can do. Most of the exercises revolve around the cable bicep curl exercise.
As such, there are a number of cable bicep curl variations and the alternatives that you can consider. The article outlines these articles in detail so that you perform them correctly. Continue reading to get more exercises that you can do to develop and strengthen your biceps.
The number of bicep curls that you can do depends on several things. Your weight, gender, and ability can be considered when it comes to the number of curls. For instance, men lift more weight than women.
However, there are some women who can lift as much as males. In addition, your weight can determine the weight that you can lift. For instance, a man that weighs around 150 pounds can curl up to 12 pounds. This also differs according to the training level.
There are beginner, novice, advanced, intermediate, and elite levels. A beginner cannot curl the same number as the novice or any other level. A beginner usually curls less than any other level. In addition to that, gender also counts.
Women usually curl less than men. Generally, it is recommended to start with fewer curls and keep on adding as you gain experience.
Cable Bicep Curl
This exercise is well known for building bicep muscle mass. If you want to have those fully pumped biceps that are also strong, you must do the cable curl. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise;
- Start by adjusting the cable machine and make sure that the cable is attached at the bottom.
- Stand in front of the machine and hold the cable grip and keep your arms fully stretched.
- Then curl the weight up to the chest. Make sure that you move the forearms only.
- Pause in that position before returning the hands to the starting position.
- You can do 12 to 15 reps in one set.
Cable Bicep Curl Variations
The cable bicep curl comes in a lot of variations As such; you can choose what works for you. The cable bicep curl works the various arm muscles. Besides the biceps, other muscles that get exercised include the brachialis and brachioradialis.
The brachioradialis muscles are found in your lower arm, and they help you to flex your arm. Then the brachialis is found in the upper arm. Below are cable bicep curl variations that you can do to work these muscles.
One Arm Cable Curl
This is an isolation exercise that targets your arm muscles and works them one arm per time. The exercise targets the biceps. But other arm muscles can be exercised to a lesser extent. To do the exercise follow the steps below;
- Start by setting the cable machine. Attach the single grip handle to a low pulley cable choose the weight that you are comfortable with.
- Then stand in front of the machine and grab the handle with an underhand grip.
- Follow that by curling the weight up moving it as far as you can.
- Lower the weight to the starting position, and don’t forget to squeeze the bicep when you reach the top of the movement.
- Repeat before exercising the other arm.
Overhead Cable Curl
The overhead cable curl is another cable curl variation that you can do to hit the biceps. Besides hitting the biceps, the overhead cable curl also exercises the abs to a lesser extent. This exercise can be done as an intense exercise or moderate exercise.
Doing more reps makes the overhead cable curl an intense exercise. To do the exercise follow the instructions below;
- Start by standing in between the overhead pulleys and then grab the stirrup one in each hand.
- Then bring your arms up until they are parallel to the ground.
- After that, carefully turn your palms upward.
- Flex your elbows and curl up to your ears.
- Pause and squeeze the biceps.
- Return the stirrups to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
This is another cable curls exercise that you can do to target your biceps and other arm muscles. You can add significant muscle mass to your arms with the cable EZ-curl exercise.
Follow the instructions below to do the exercise;
- Stand facing the machine and grasp the EZ-curl bar and make sure that your palms are facing up.
- Keep the elbows by your body sides and lift the bar up to your chest. Squeeze your biceps.
- Pause in that position with the biceps squeezed.
- Lower the bar slowly to the starting position.
Lying Cable Bicep Curls
The lying cable bicep curl is a unique workout that slaps the biceps harder to develop and strengthen the arm muscles. Follow the steps below to do the exercise;
- Start hold the EZ-curl bar with the palms facing upwards. Then lay on the bench on your back and keep the feet planted on the ground. Keep your arms fully stretched with the bar resting on your hips.
- Curl the bar up to the chest and squeeze the biceps. Pause in that position for a few seconds.
- Then return the bar to the hips position
- Repeat until you meet the number of your intended sets and reps.
Cable Bicep Curl Rope
This exercise focuses on your biceps more than any other muscle. This is because you use your biceps to pull the cable. To do the exercise follow the steps below;
- Start by setting the cable machine and put the rope on a low pulley.
- Then stand in front of the machine about 30 cm away from it and grab the rope. Make sure you stand up straight and keep your torso stable and stationery.
- Your arms must be by your body sides and hanging.
- Pull the rope up to the chest height or until the biceps touch the forearms. Your elbows must be your body sides.
- Pause in that position and squeeze the biceps
- Lower the rope down to the starting position.
Cable Bicep Curl Alternative
You may need to give the cable machine a break but still do the bicep curls. Or you might not have the cable machine and that doesn’t mean you don’t have to pump up your biceps. There are cable bicep curls exercise alternative exercise that you can
Incorporating weight to your exercises challenges your muscles. The weights strengthen the muscles, and they are good at adding mass to your muscles. Generally, a man can use a dumbbell that weighs between 35 and 40 pounds (15 to 20 kg). Then women can do with a 20 pound (around 9 to 10 kg) dumbbell curl.
However, some people can do more or fewer dumbbell curls. It all depends on your health and ability. Follow the steps below to do the dumbbell curl exercise;
- Holding each dumbbell in your hand, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Keep your arms hanging by your hips.
- Your palms must be facing forward or in front of you.
- Then curl the dumbbells up to the shoulder height and contract your biceps.
- Lower the dumbbells to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
This is another curling variation that you can consider when you want to build your biceps muscles. However, to do this exercise you will need a preacher bench. You can use a barbell, EZ-bar, or dumbbells to do the preacher curl exercise. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise;
- Start by adjusting the bench height and sit on the preacher bench.
- Hold the weight with an underhand grip and your face up.
- Then lift the weight up until the forearms are in a vertical position.
- Pause in that position and return the weight to the starting position.
- Count up to 3 with your arms fully extended and in starting position.
- Then repeat the motion.
Barbell Drag Curl
This is another alternative exercise that can be done in place of the cable bicep curl exercise. The barbell drag curl is a great exercise for building the bicep muscles. You can follow the instructions below to do the exercise in proper form.
- Start selecting your preferable weight and load it.
- Stand with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Then squat to grab the barbell on the floor. Grab the barbell with an underhand grip and make sure that your hands are a bit wider than the shoulder width apart distance.
- Pull up the bar to the hips position. Then pull it up towards your chest but below the chest and let your elbows drift behind your body.
- Lower the barbell to the hips position.
- Repeat the motion.
Cable Bicep Curl Teaching Points
There are various points that should always ring in your mind when you do the cable bicep curls and the alternatives. Check the points below to always remember when you do the exercise.
- Warm up before starting the main exercise
- Avoid doing the moves fast, you may hurt yourself. Moving slowly is good for improving the tension and the mind muscle connection.
- Avoid dropping the weights while training.
- Make sure that your body is stable. You should be moving the forearms rather than swaying your body or jerking your shoulders.
- Choose the weight that you can manage to work without altering the form.
In conclusion, there are a lot of things that may be considered when it comes to the number of curls that you can do. For instance, your genders, experience, are some of the things that influence the number of curls that you can do.
The type of curl exercise can be used to determine the number of curls that you can do.
Some cable bicep curl variations can be too difficult to do many reps while others can be easy for you to do more reps. The above article has different cable bicep curl variations and alternatives that you can do to strengthen your biceps.
You can choose any exercise and develop your biceps. The above exercises cater to those with or without cable machines. You can revisit to pick your preferable exercise to develop your biceps.
How many bicep curls do you do? Share your thoughts and experiences below.
Just click and join with free sign up, You have a great oppotunity to start your business.