You should be that person who only does a shoulder injury workout or workout for a back injury. Building and strengthening those particular muscles with shoulder and back workouts can keep you in good shape. As a female, you also need to keep your upper body in good condition. This strengthening your back and shoulder muscles is important.
In the next paragraphs, there are a lot of shoulder and back workouts. You can choose what works better for you. For instance, there are dumbbell back workouts, bodybuilding back exercises, and many others. You can surely get handy exercises that can help you to have a stronger and well-built upper body.
Shoulder And Back Workouts At Home
Working your shoulders and back at the same time can be easier considering that you will be doing upper body workouts. However, you should know which exercises are good at working both the back and shoulder muscles at the same time. If you are not too sure, you can always do workouts that exercise your back separately from your back vice-versa. Below are various exercises that you can do to target your back and shoulder muscles.
Wall Walk Up
This is a bodyweight exercise that is ideal for working your shoulders and back muscles. In addition to that, it works your abs and chest muscles. However, this exercise must be done at a slow speed to avoid injuries. This is how you do it,
- Position your body in a push-up and make sure that your feet are towards the wall.
- Move slowly towards the wall and place all your feet on the wall so that you balance on the ground with your hands.
- Keep on climbing up the wall with your feet until your stomach is towards the wall and you are almost standing with your hands.
- Reverse the movement and crawl back to the push-up position.
- Repeat the movement as much as you can. But avoid doing it faster to lower injuries.
In addition of the wall walk up exercise, other exercises that are good for working your shoulder and back muscles include overhead shoulder press, lateral raise reverse, mountain climbers, and more. However, you may need weights to do some exercises but they can be done at home.
Shoulder And Back Workout With Dumbbells
There are a lot of interesting dumbbell exercises that are good at targeting your back as well as shoulder muscles. However, when using dumbbells, make sure that you use the weight that you are comfortable with. Below are various exercises that you can do to chisel your back and shoulder
Single Arm Row
This exercise primarily works your lats and rhomboids. The lats is one of the biggest muscles located on your back. The rhomboids are located on your upper back near your shoulders. Therefore, the single arm row is ideal for primarily working your back muscles and the shoulder muscles to a lesser extent. This is how you do the exercise;
- While holding a dumbbell with your right hand, stand with your feet at shoulder width apart. Then step forward with your left foot and let your left hand rest on your thigh.
- Row the dumbbell up towards your ribcage and let your elbow pass your back.
- Lower the weight towards the floor to the starting position.
- Repeat to complete the number of reps on one side before exercising the other side.
- Exercise the other side by doing the same movement that you did on the right side.
In addition to the single-arm row, other dumbbell exercises that you can do target your shoulders and back muscles include single-leg reverse fly, bent over row with tricep kickback, bent over row, and more.
Shoulder And Back Workout (No Equipment)
Without equipment, you can do various exercises that hit the shoulders and back muscles, It’s a matter of knowing the right exercises for those particular muscles.
This exercise is good for your back muscles as well as the deltoids. It works the lats, core, and triceps muscles. You do not need any equipment to do this exercise. Follow the steps below;
- Position yourself into a plank with your palm planted on the floor with hands at shoulder-width apart.
- Then start jumping your feet in and out to imitate the jumping jacks movement.
- Repeat the movement as much as you can.
Besides the plank jack, other shoulder and back exercises that you can do without equipment include the lateral plank walk, plank tap, diving pushup, kneeling table pullover, and many others.
Back And Shoulder Workout Bodybuilding
To have bigger shoulders and back muscles that form a ‘V’ shape, you can do various exercises that are good for mass building. Below are bodybuilding exercises that target shoulders and back muscles.
Standing Lateral Raise
The lateral raise exercise is good for primarily targeting the deltoids muscles, In addition to that, it also works with other back muscles such as the serratus anterior. This is how you do the exercise;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells, stand with your feet at shoulder-width apart. Let the dumbbells hang towards the floor by your body.
- Then raise the dumbbell up keeping your arms sideways until they reach shoulder level.
- Return your weights to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
In addition to the standing lateral raise, other exercises that you can do for bodybuilding include resistance band lateral raise, single arm , bent over dumbbell row, pull-up, dumbbell pullover, and more.
HIIT Shoulder And Back Workout
The HIIT exercises are short but very effective considering the level of intensiveness. With HIIT exercises, you do 4 exercises under a set time. You break for few seconds in between the exercises. Below are HIIT routines that are ideal for your back and shoulder muscles.
HIIT workout 1
You can do the following exercises for 10 minutes and have 20 seconds intervals. You can do 3 rounds of the following exercises.
- Walkout with shoulder tap
- Bent over row
- Shoulder flexion
- Full plank with arm circles
HIIT workout 2
The following workout for your back and shoulder muscles can be done in 7 minutes with 40 seconds intervals. Below is the set of exercises that you can do.
- Lateral raise
- Jumping jacks
- Renegade row
- Hip rotation push up position
- Plank up
- Standing reverse fly
Back And Shoulder Superset Workout Routine
A superset workout means doing two exercises back and forth. Those exercises should be working the back and shoulders muscles. Below are the superset exercises that you can do for the shoulders and back muscles.
Underhand lat pulldown and the seated row can be a good superset workout routine for your back and shoulder muscles.
Underhand lat pulldown
This exercise is good for working your lats muscles as the primary target. In addition to that, the exercise is good to work your shoulders and arms muscles. This is how you do it;
- Set the bar on high setting and then sit on a bench facing the cable machine.
- Then grasp the bar with an underhand grip. Make sure that your hands are shoulder-width apart and your arms are fully extended.
- Pull the bar down to your chest.
- Return the bar up to the starting position.
- Repeat the moves as much as you can.
The seated row works various muscles such as latissimus dorsi, trapezius, rhomboids, and biceps branchii. This is one of the back and bicep workouts. The standard seated row exercise can be done on a cable row machine. This is how you do it,
- Sit on the bench and keep your feet planted on the floor or on the floor pedal. Then grasp the cable handles with both hands.
- Pull the handles towards the rib cage. Pause for a second.
- Return the handles to the starting position.
- Repeat movement.
Shoulder And Back Workout For Females At Home
There are several exercises for females who are into working their shoulders and back muscles. Keeping your back and shoulders in good shape makes it easy to do various jobs. More so, it keeps your spinal cord and other back muscles healthier. It also improves your posture. Below are the exercises that are doable at home,
- Half kneeling shoulder press
- Upright row
- Renegade row
- Bent over reverse fly
Different Weight For Males And Females
Males and females weigh differently. Men have dense bones and muscle mass compared to women. But on average women gain more fat compared to men. Therefore, men can weigh more than women, and also women can weigh more than men.
There are several exercises that you can do to target your back and shoulder muscles. Working these major muscles is good in many ways. It makes it easier to do your day-to-day tasks. And most importantly, it maintains your posture. Interestingly there are shoulder and back workouts that can be done by females whether at home or at the gym.
As discussed above, the exercises that are good at building and strengthening shoulder and back muscles include single-arm row, walk out with shoulder tap, lateral raise seated row, and many others. You have to make sure that you know various exercises to target those particular muscles that you want to focus on.
Which exercises would you suggest that women do to work their shoulders and back muscles?
Earn Up to $10k Per Month by Online Business My
#1 Recommendation Method