A cable rear delt fly exercise is a shoulder exercise that is not complicated to do. This is largely supported by the following paragraphs that explain in detail how to do the cable rear delt fly exercise. There are also alternative exercises that you can do in place of this exercise. For instance, you can do assisted pull-ups, bent over lateral raise, standing rope face pull, and more.
These exercises are discussed in detail. The article gives detailed instructions on how to do them. In addition, there are cable rear delt fly variations. Some variations include rear delt cable fly one arm, cable rear delt fly bent over, and more.
High Cable Rear Delt Fly Jim Stoppani
The High cable rear delt fly is good for strengthening the posterior deltoids. In addition to that, it also strengthens the traps, rhomboids, and erector spinae. According to Jim Stoppani, if you cannot do the high cable exercise, you can do the Bent over lateral raise exercise.
Below are the steps you can follow to do the high cable rear delt fly exercise;
- Stand in the middle of a cable crossover machine.
- Grabs the cables in such a way that the right high cable is in your left hand and the left high cable in your right hand.
- Then pull the arms out and backward as far as you can.
- Then return your arms to the starting position.
- Repeat the moves as much as you can.
High Cable Rear Delt Fly Alternative
There are many exercises that you can do as an alternative to the high cable rear delt fly. Below are the exercises that you can do in place of high cable rear delt fly;
Bent Over Lateral Raise
The bent over lateral raise works the same muscles as the high cable rear delt exercise. For instance, it works the posterior deltoids, anterior serratus, and forearms. To do the exercise; follow the instructions below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells stand with your feet at hip-width apart.
- Bend at your waist until your upper body is parallel to the ground. Make sure that your arms are hanging towards the floor with palms facing each other.
- Then raise your arms sideways until they are parallel to the ground. Pause for a second at the top of the movement
- Return the arms to the starting position.
The assisted pull-ups are good for strengthening the shoulder muscles. In addition to that, the exercise also works the forearms. More so, it improves grip strength. To do the assisted pull-ups follow the instructions below;
- Firstly, tie a resistance band to the pull-up bar and make sure that the loop can afford you to kneel on it or stand on it.
- Grasp the pull-up bar with an overhand grip and make sure that your hands are at shoulder-width apart or slightly wider than that.
- Put one foot inside the resistance band loop.
- Pull your body up until the chin is above the bar.
- Finally, lower your body to the starting position.
- You can do 8 to 10 reps.
Incline Bench Dumbbell Reverse Fly
The incline bench dumbbell reverse fly exercise works the deltoids muscles. Additionally, the weight makes the deltoids stronger. The exercise is a good alternative to standing cable reverse fly due to working similar muscles. To do the exercise follow the steps below;
- Lie on a bench with your chest on the upper side of an inclined bench.
- Grasp the dumbbells with your hands and let your arms hang towards the floor.
- Raise your arms up until they are parallel to the ground.
- Return the weight to the starting position.
Standing Rope Face Pull
This exercise also works the shoulder muscles. It makes them stronger and keeps them in good condition. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- Start by setting a cable machine and make sure that the pulley is at the highest setting.
- Stand in front of a machine with your feet at shoulder-width apart.
- Grasp the rope handles and extend your arms in front of you. Bend your knees slightly.
- Then pull the rope handles towards your face until you feel your shoulder blades being pinched.
Cable Rear Delt Fly Muscles Worked
The cable rear delt exercise is a shoulder exercise. Below are the muscles worked by cable rear delt fly; Posterior deltoid – The posterior deltoids muscles are important for stabilizing the shoulders. In addition to that, it also plays a major role in initiating the rotation of the upper arm bones. The posterior deltoids are located on the back of your shoulders.
Trapezius – the trapezius is located in between your shoulders and the muscles stretch from the neck to the mid-back.
The muscle is responsible for rotation and movement of the neck. Therefore, strengthening these muscles lowers neck injury and strain.
Rhomboids – the rhomboids work to keep the scapula in position.
Erector spinae – strengthening the spine keeps your body in good posture.
Rear Delt Cable Fly One Arm
To strengthen shoulder adduction, the rear delt cable fly one arm is the best exercise that you can do. Besides that, it also works your grip strength. To do the exercise; follow the instructions below;
- Firstly, attach the cable to a high pulley so that it is at your shoulder height.
- Stand next to the cable machine with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Grasp the cable with your hand that is away from the machine.
- Pull the cable across your chest until the arm is fully stretched and parallel to the floor
- Repeat on one hand and then exchange to exercise the other arm.
- Repeat as much as you can.
High To Low Rear Delt Cable Fly
To do the exercise follow the steps below;
- Set the pulleys on a higher spot and choose the weight that you are comfortable with.
- Stand in front of the cable machine and grasp the cable with both hands. The cable must cross each other in front of your body.
- Bring your hands close to each and make sure that your arms are fully stretched in front of you at chest height.
- Pull the cables downwards with your hands going down towards your waist. Pull until your chest is out and the hands are on your body sides or slightly back.
- Return the ars to the starting position in front of you.
- Repeat the moves to reach the number of your preferable reps.
Cable Rear Delt Fly With Dumbbells
A rear delt fly exercise done using the dumbbells works various muscles. The weight is good for building muscle mass and strengthening muscles. The muscles that get worked by this exercise include the shoulders, back, abs, anterior serratus, hips, and spine.
To do the exercise you will need a pair of dumbbells. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise;
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand; stand with your feet at hip-width apart.
- Bend your waist to bring your torso forward. Keep your spine neutral.
- Bend your knees slightly and let your arms hang towards the ground with hands facing each other. Your arms should be close to each.
- Raise your arms up by your sides until they are parallel to the ground. Squeeze your shoulders at the top of the movement
- Finally, return your arms to the starting position.
- Repeat to perform the preferable number of your sets and reps.
Cable Rear Delt Fly Bent Over
- Firstly, set the two cables at the bottom of the cable machine.
- Grab the cable handles with a neutral. The right hand must be holding a cable coming from the left side and left hand from the right side.
- Bend your knees slightly and let your arms hang towards the floor.
- Pull the handles laterally until your arms are parallel to the ground.
- Finally, lower the hands to the starting positions.
- Repeat to reach the number of sets and reps.
Rear Delt Fly Machine
A rear delt fly machine is a gym machine that is good for working the deltoids and pectoral muscles. The machine has an adjustable seat so that you train while seated. However, you can always use the machine while standing. There are handles that allow you to pull the weight. The machine rear delt flye makes you train your shoulders effectively.
The high cable rear delt fly exercise is done using the cable machine. There are variations that you can do in place of this exercise such as using the dumbbell rear delt fly, and many others.
The bottom line is the exercise works the posterior deltoids. You train your deltoids using the rear delt machine or a cable machine. Most of the time you raise your arms to target the shoulders. The exercise involves lifting the arms up using a machine. However, if you don’t have the machine you can do alternative exercise that works similar muscles. For instance, you can do the assisted pull-ups to strengthen the deltoids muscles.
How have you been doing the high cable rear delt fly? Share your experiences.
Earn Up to $10k Per Month by Online Business My
#1 Recommendation Method