There are various cable lateral raises that you can do to strengthen the shoulder muscles. You can use the lateral raise machine, cable machine, dumbbells, or any other equipment to do the exercises. As you do the exercise you can choose the weight that you comfortable with.
However, you must always use light weight. In this article, there are different lateral raise exercises as well as variations that you can do to strengthen your shoulders.
For instance, some lateral raise exercises listed in this article include cable side lateral raise, dumbbell lateral raise, seated lateral raise, single arm cable lateral raise, bent over lateral raise.
Cable Lateral Raise Vs Dumbbell
Doing a cable lateral raise is so convenient compared to the dumbbell lateral raise exercise. Every movement that you do when doing the cable lateral raise exercise is effective. At the bottom of the movement, you also work your muscles.
However, when doing dumbbell lateral raise, you don’t work your muscles when the dumbbells are resting on your hips.
Using the dumbbell to do lateral raise may not be smooth compared to the cable lateral raise. The cable makes the tension become continuous tension on your muscles.
Cable Lateral Raise Alternative
If for some reasons you cannot do the cable lateral raise exercise, there are various alternatives that you can opt for to work your shoulder muscles. The dumbbell lateral raise is one of the best alternatives that you can do. Below are the lateral raise alternative exercises;
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
The dumbbell lateral raise is one of the best alternatives to lateral raise (cable). The dumbbell lateral raise is good at giving your shoulders a good round shape. In addition to that, the exercise strengthens your shoulders and arms muscles. The exercise can be done while seated or standing. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells stand with your hips at shoulder-width apart. Make sure that the dumbbells are hanging by your body sides with palms facing your hips. But avoid resting dumbbells on your body.
- Raise the dumbbells up to your shoulder height. Pause and squeeze your arms at the top of the movement.
- Lower the dumbbells down to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement as much as you can.
Resistance Band Lateral Raise
If you have a resistance band, you can take advantage of them and strengthen your shoulders. This exercise can be also done by people who have shoulder injuries. To do the exercise; follow the steps below
- Take a resistance band and hold the handles with your hands.
- While holding a resistance band, step at the center of it with your feet at hip-width apart.
- Then raise your arms up sideways until they are parallel to the ground.
- Lower your arms to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Bent Over Lateral Raise
This is a lateral raise variation that you can do as an alternative to cable lateral raise exercise. This exercise is good at working the upper body muscles such as the shoulders, upper back, and arm muscles. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells, stand with your feet at shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your body until the torso is parallel to the ground. Let your arms hang towards the floor.
- Raise your arms sideways until they are parallel to the ground.
- Lower your arms to the starting position and keep your back neutral.
- Repeat the moves much as you can.
Cable Front Raise
- Start by setting the cable machine to a low setting.
- Then stand in front of the machine with your feet at shoulder-width apart.
- Grasp the rope with one hand and let the rope be extended from your behind.
- Then pull the rope until your arm is at shoulder height.
- Return the hand to the starting position and repeat the moves on hand before exercising the other hand.
Cable Lateral Raise Dumbbell
Doing the cable lateral raise exercise using the dumbbells is effective. However, as discussed above the two exercises have different effects when doing them. Using a cable makes you work your muscles throughout the exercise while when using the dumbbells, your muscles rest when the dumbbells are hanging by your body sides.
Cable Lateral Raise Muscles Worked
The cable lateral raise primarily works the shoulder muscles particularly the middle deltoids. Other supporting muscles that get worked by this exercise include the trapezius, rotator cuff, serratus anterior, and arms muscles. The exercise strengthens these muscles.
Cable Lateral Raise (Behind Back)
This is an isolation exercise that targets your middle deltoids. Pulling the cable from behind the back challenges your muscles and makes the exercise more intense. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- Set the cable machine to a low pulley.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and grab the cable with one in such a way that the cable is behind your back.
- Pull the cable up until your arm is at shoulder height.
- Lower the hand to the starting position and repeat the movements as much as you can.
Cable Triceps Kickback
The cable triceps kickback primarily works your triceps muscles. In addition to It strengthens those muscles. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- Start by setting the handle on the low pulley.
- Grasp the handle and stand with your feet at shoulder-width apart. Bend your upper body until your upper body is parallel to the ground.
- Then pull the cable with your arm moving to your back until it is fully stretched.
- Return your hand to the starting position.
Lateral Raise Variations
Seated Lateral Raise
This is lateral raise that you can while seated. It works the delts, arms, abs, and serratus anterior muscles. The seated lateral raise form is the same as the standing lateral raise form. The only difference is body position. To do the exercise; follow the steps below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells, sit on a bench and keep your feet planted on the floor.
- Make sure that your arms are hanging towards the floor by your sides with palms facing each other.
- Then raise the dumbbells up with your arms sideways until they are parallel to the ground.
- Pause at the top of the movement and lower your arms to the starting position.
- Repeat the moves as much as you can.
Alternating Lateral Raise
This is another lateral variation that you can do in place of cable lateral raise. The exercise is good for strengthening your shoulders and traps muscles. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells, stand with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Let the dumbbells hang by your body sides.
- Then raise your arm and leave the other one hanging. Raise it until it’s at shoulder height.
- Return the raised arm to the starting position and then raise the other arm.
- Keep on alternating the arm until you reach the preferred number of reps.
Single Arm Cable Lateral Raise
This is a strength exercise that works your delts muscles making your shoulder muscles stronger. Besides working your shoulders, the exercise is also good at working your arms, serratus anterior, and other upper body muscles. To do the exercise, follow the steps below.
- More sure that the handle is at the lower setting of the cable pulley machine.
- Then stand with your feet at shoulder width apart next to the machine.
- Grasp the handle of a machine with the arm away from the machine. Make sure that the arm is fully stretched with the cable crossing in front of your body.
- Then raise your arm until it is at shoulder height. Pause for a second before returning the arm to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can before exercising the other hand.
What Is A Good Weight For Lateral Raises?
When doing lateral raise, you don’t need heavy weights. You must know how to do the exercises properly in the right form as discussed above. As such, any weight that is less than 5kgs is perfect when doing lateral raise exercises. Using heavy weight more than 5kgs might injure your shoulders. You might be able to use a weight that is more than 5 kg but it is advisable to use light weight when doing the lateral raise for your own safety.
As you strengthen your shoulder muscles, you may do the lateral raise exercises. These exercises are good at working your shoulders. Interestingly there are many lateral variations that you can try depending on the equipment that you have access to.
However, regardless of the variation that you will be doing, you must make sure that you use light weight that is less than 5kgs. It is safe and you can do the lateral raise in proper form with such weight. Some lateral raises exercise mentioned above includes cable lateral raise, dumbbell lateral raise, bent over lateral raise, one arm lateral raise, and many others.
Which lateral raise would you recommend and why? Share your experiences below.
There is no track, no approved mechanisms. If having the knowledge you can start your own business with a flexible schedule. That is important for you to check out my #1 recommendation mechanism to start your journey.