Doing the exercise in proper form makes you target the muscles in the right way. It also lowers the risks of getting injured. Therefore, this article will guide you on various exercises that target your triceps. You will be given step-by-step instructions on different triceps exercises such as seated tricep press.
Besides that particular exercise, there are variations and alternatives that are listed in the following passages. Whether you have the gym equipment or not, this article gives different exercises that you can do to build your triceps muscles.
Seated Tricep Press Muscles Worked
The seated tricep press is a strength exercise that you should do if you want to focus on your triceps. It is good at building bigger and stronger and muscles. You will need dumbbells and a bench to do the exercise. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise.
- Hold a dumbbell with your hands and sit on the bench with back support.
- Then raise the dumbbells up above your head and keep your arms close to your head.
- Flex your elbows and lower the dumbbells until your upper arm and your lower arm forms a 90-degree angle. The dumbbell must be lowered on the back of your head.
- Then extend your elbows up above the head. Pause at the top of the movement and contract the triceps before lowering the dumbbell.
- Repeat the moves.
Seated Tricep Press Machine
A seated tricep press machine is a gym machine that you can also use at home to exercise your arms. The machine primarily works the triceps muscles. However, it also engages other muscles such as shoulders, back muscles, and others. There are different types of tricep press machines. They may also come with different features such as the weights and handles.
Seated Tricep Press Alternative
Not having a tricep press machine does not mean that you cannot develop your tricep muscles. There are various exercises that you can do to make your arm muscles bigger and stronger. Below are different exercises that target the triceps muscles;
This is a strength exercise that targets the triceps muscles. If you are tired of exercising standing, you can try the skull crushers exercise for a change. You just need the dumbbells to do the exercise.
Using the weights gives your muscles a challenge. Weights are also good at building muscle mass. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise;
- Lie with your back on the floor and bend your knees. Keep your feet planted on the floor. If you have a flat bench, you can lie on top of it.
- Hold the dumbbells and lift your arms up above your chest until your arms straight. Keep your palms facing each other.
- Engage your core and lower the dumbbells towards your head. Lower the dumbbells further behind your ears.
- Then lift the dumbbells up until your arms are straight.
- Repeat as much as you can.
If you have strong shoulders, you can do the triceps dips workout to strengthen your tricep muscles. Avoid this exercise if your shoulders are weak. Besides growing your triceps, this exercise also engages rhomboids, pecs, and the anterior deltoids. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise;
- Stand in between the bars and grab them.
- Lift your body up and cross your legs at the bottom.
- Keep your upper arms closer to your body sides. Opening u your arms might be god for working your chest.
- Prop your body up until your arms are fully stretched with your body off the ground.
- Then lower your body until your elbows form a 90 degrees angle.
- Push your body up until your arms are straight with your body off the ground.
- You can do 8 to 10 reps in a set.
Seated Tricep Press With Barbell
If you don’t have the machine; you can use weight to do the tricep press. The seated tricep press with barbell exercise is a strength exercise that targets the triceps and shoulders. You need the barbell and a bench to do the exercise; Follow the steps below to do the exercise correctly;
- Set your bench on stable ground and sit on it.
- Grasp a barbell with an overhand grip and put it on your laps. Keep your hands closer than the shoulder width apart distance. Your palms must be facing on the floor.
- Lift the bar and push it up over your head until your arms are fully extended.
- Then lower the bar behind your head by bending your elbows.
- Repeat the moves
The diamond push-ups is another exercise that you can do to pump the triceps. Interestingly, you don’t need equipment to do this exercise. You depend on your body for resistance. Follow the steps below to do the exercise;
- Get into a push-up position and plant your palm on the floor close to each so that the fingertips can touch each other. The gap between your palms must be forming a diamond shape.
- Lower your chest towards the floor. Keep your back straight and neutral as you lower your body.
- Rise up before touching the floor with your chest.
- Rise and repeat the moves as much as you can.
Seated Tricep Press Down
This is another exercise that you can do to target the triceps. However, you will need a machine to perform the moves. Follow the steps below to do the exercise;
- Start by adjusting the press machine seat. Note that the lower seat makes it more intense to press down.
- Sit on the machine seat facing away from the machine. Keep your feet planted on the floor.
- Make sure that your back is neutral against the seat. Keep your back against the seat as you press down.
- Grab the handles with a neutral grip and press down simultaneously. Keep your shoulders stationary as you drive the weight down. Exhale as you press down the weight.
- Return the handles up and inhale.
You use a cable machine to perform the moves. However, you can use a resistance band in place of the cable machine. Follow the steps below to do the exercise.
- Stand facing the cable machine and grab the cable bar attachment with an overhand grip. You can adjust the cable bar grips to your chest level.
- Choose your weight and make sure that it’s not too heavy.
- Brace your abdominals and keep your elbows by your body sides. Make sure your feet are shoulder-width apart or a bit closer than shoulder width apart.
- Pushdowns the weight until your arms are fully extended but don’t lock the elbows and avoid bending forward but just bend your knees a bit.
- Return the weight up to the starting position.
- You can do 3 to 4 sets of 12 reps or more.
Overhead Tricep Extension
The overhead tricep extension is another exercise that can strengthen your triceps. This makes it easy for your arms to perform daily activities. And stronger arms lower the injury risks. Follow the steps below to do the exercise;
- Holding one dumbbell with both your hands, stand with your feet at hip-width apart.
- Then bring the dumbbell up overhead and keep your upper arms closer to your head.
- Bend the elbows to lower the dumbbell behind your head. Lower the dumbbells until the angle in your arms a less than 90 degrees. Make sure that your elbows do not point outside but in front of you.
- Pause and count up to 2 and return raise the dumbbell up until your arms are straight above your head.
- Repeat as much as you can.
The tricep kickback does not only strengthen the triceps but it also engages other upper body muscles. For instance, the shoulders and forearm muscles also benefit as you exercise. The tricep kickback can be done using the cable machine or you can use the dumbbells. Follow the instructions below to do the machine tricep kickback.
- Start by attaching the single grip handle to a low pulley cable machine.
- Select the weight that you are comfortable with.
- Facing the cable machine, grab the handle with your right hand with an overhand grip. Then step back from the machine.
- Keep your feet and knees close to each other. You can place your free hand on your thigh or waist for support.
- Bend your body forward until your upper body is parallel to the ground.
- Extend your arm as far as you can keeping the upper arm close to your body.
- Lower the weight towards your thigh.
- You can do 12 to 15 reps.
The seated tricep press is a great exercise that you can do to develop and strengthen your triceps. Doing this exercise in proper form does not only benefit your muscles but it also lessens the injuries. In the above passage, there are different variations of triceps press. In addition to that, there are also alternative exercises that you can do target your triceps muscles.
For instance, if you have triceps machine, you can do seated triceps pulldown. Then if you don’t have the machine, you can use weights such as dumbbells and barbells to do the skull crushers. The diamond push-up is another alternative exercise that hits the triceps.
Which exercises in the above article do you prefer doing to strengthen your triceps? Share your experiences below.
Earn Up to $10k Per Month by Online Business My
#1 Recommendation Method