The lateral machine works the upper body muscles. Mainly, it works the lateral deltoid. This article shed more light on the muscles that you engage when using the lateral raise machine. These muscles will be discussed in detail. You will also get detailed instructions on how to use the machine to do different exercises.
In addition to that, there is also a list of alternative exercises that you can do instead of the lateral raise machine exercise. Furthermore, the article gives you buying guidelines and the different prices of the machines.
Lateral Raise Machine For Sale
There are different models of the lateral raise machine therefore, this makes the machines vary in prices. But they all serve the same purpose of exercising the shoulder muscles. Therefore, when you are buying a machine, you should the machine that meets your training needs.
In addition, the price of a machine also varies from country to country due to a number of different reasons. In Indiamart, the lateral raise machine costs range around Rs 38,000. Some machine cost more or less than that.
Then in China, a machine costs around US$450. With online shops like Alibaba, a lateral raise machine raise around $300 to $800. The prices are determined by the brand. When buying the machine, you should consider the features, the material used to make the machine, usage of the machine, durability of the machine, and many other factors.
There are machines that you can use when seated and some that you can use when you are standing. Therefore, you should consider all those factors when purchasing the machine.
Lateral Raise Machine Alternative
Almost each and every exercise comes with its pro and cons. In addition to that, people react differently to the same exercises. Likewise, with the lateral raise machine exercises, some people love it while others don’t like. People have their reasons for liking or disliking exercise.
Therefore, there are exercises that you can do as a substitute for the one that you don’t like. Below are the exercises that you can do as a substitute for the lateral raise machine exercise. The exercise also works the lateral delts like the lateral raise machine exercise.
Bent Over Lateral Raise
The bent over lateral raise works the deltoids muscles. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Holding a pair of dumbbells, stand with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Bend your body until your torso is parallel to the ground.
- Keep your arms hanging with the palms facing each other. Avoid locking your elbows.
- Raise your arms sideways to the shoulder height or until the arms are parallel to the ground. Make your rear delts flex at the top of the movement.
- Return the weight to the starting position. Pause for a second and repeat as much as you can.
Incline Bench Bent Over Lateral Raise
- Start by lying on the bench and position your chest on the higher edge of the bench.
- Hold the dumbbells and let your arms hang towards the ground.
- Then raise your arms sideways until they are parallel to the ground.
- Return them to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Cable Lying Front Raise
This is another exercise that you can do as a substitute for the lateral raise machine exercise. This exercise strengthens the shoulder muscles. It is an isolation exercise that works your muscles that works muscles or joint at a time. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Set the low pulley cable machine and attach a straight bar attachment.
- Lie down on the floor and face upwards with your feet extended towards the cable machine.
- Then position the bar at your waist with hands at shoulder width apart distance. Your hands should be holding the bar with an overhand grip.
- Pull the bar up above your head or until your arms are fully extended. Pause in that position for a second.
- Return the bar to the waist position or to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Dumbbell Alternating Lateral Raise
This is a lateral raise alternative that works the same muscles as the lateral raise machine exercise. It strengthens the shoulder muscles. You work the shoulder muscles by isolating them. To do the exercise, you need a pair of dumbbells and an exercising ball. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Sit on the exercise ball and keep your feet planted on the floor.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and let your arms hang by your body.
- Then lift one hand to shoulder height with your arm fully stretched.
- Return the lifted arm to the starting position and lift the other arm.
- Alternate the moves as much as you can.
Lateral Raise Machine Muscles Worked
The lateral raise machine targets the middle deltoid muscles. The middle deltoid is a shoulder muscle that is located in the middle of the deltoid. This muscle is good for shoulder abduction. The other parts of the deltoid; anterior and posterior also get worked when using the lateral raise machine.
Besides working the deltoids muscles; the machine also works the upper traps. Keeping your traps in good condition prevents shoulder injuries. In addition to that, the traps prevent neck injuries including concussions. The other muscles that get worked are serratus anterior. The serratus anterior connects different muscles such as your rib cage and your shoulders. Therefore, keeping the serratus muscles fit make it easy for your shoulders to perform the push and pull activities.
Follow the instructions below to do the exercise using the machine.
- Firstly, sit in the machine and make sure that your back is neutral or flat.
- Grasp the handles with your hands and position your arms properly.
- Then push your arms up and then sideways.
- Pause at the top of the movement and return slowly to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Lateral Raise Machine Vs Dumbbell
The two exercises work the same muscles; lateral deltoid. However, the level of hitting those muscles is not the same. It is easy to use the lateral raise machine to use free weight. Most people struggle to lift more weight when doing the dumbbell lateral raise. But with the lateral raise machine, a trainer can lift more weights than when doing dumbbell lateral raise.
Using the machine makes it easy to focus on your delts. But when using the dumbbells, you are holding the weight with your hands, and your wrists get affected also. As such, some people fail to lift the weight as it pains the wrist. If you can, you can use both. You can do the dumbbell lateral raise and then do the lateral raise machine exercise to balance your training. To do the dumbbell lateral raise, follow the steps below;
- Holding dumbbells in your hands stand with your feet at shoulder-width apart. Keep the arms hanging by your body sides.
- Lift the dumbbells up until the arms are parallel to the ground.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells to the starting position.
Shoulder Press Machine
A shoulder press machine is ideally for strengthening the shoulder muscles. It isolates the shoulders due to its fixed movement pattern. You can use the machine anytime but is advisable to use it at the end of the upper body workout to exercise the push muscles. The push muscles include the triceps, chest and shoulders. The shoulder press machine is good as the seated shoulder press exercise.
When using the machine you should avoid loving your arms. You should press overhead and keep your arms slightly bent to avoid locking them. To use the machine; you can follow the instructions below;
- Sit in the machine and make sure that the handles are at shoulder height.
- Grasp the handles with a neutral grip.
- Then start pressing the handles until the arms are fully stretched over your head.
- Lower the handles slowly to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Standing Lateral Raise Machine
The standing lateral raise machine works your shoulders and back muscles. It makes the lateral deltoids bigger. The lateral deltoids contribute to the shoulder look. If the lateral deltoids are bigger, the shoulders become wider. Interestingly, you train while standing. To use the machine, start by choosing the resistance weight.
Then stand in front of the machine and grasp the handles. Lift the handle up until the arms are parallel to the ground. Then return the hands to the starting position.
In conclusion, the lateral raise machine primarily works the shoulder muscles; particularly the lateral deltoid. Therefore, if you want to develop your shoulders, you can use this machine. It comes with its benefits such as making it easy to focus on deltoids and ability to lift more weight. However, not everyone is comfortable with the machine.
You can do other alternative exercises such as the dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell alternating lateral raise, and more. You can also mix these exercises, you can use the machine and free weights to fully develop and strengthen your shoulders.
What works your shoulders better between a lateral raise machine and free weights? Share your experience below.
Earn Up to $10k Per Month by Online Business My
#1 Recommendation Method