Having a strong back as a woman is healthy and advantageous. It makes you do your day-to-day activities without setbacks. Interestingly, strengthening your back muscles can be done at home successfully. In this article, there are back workouts at home that you can do to exercise your back muscles. The exercises mentioned in the following paragraphs can be done at home without the use of gym equipment.
For instance, there are exercises such as leg raise, superman, push-ups which don’t need any equipment. In addition to that, there are back workouts that can be done with the use of weight such as dumbbell. Besides being treated with beach workouts, there are also shoulder and bicep exercises that are listed in this article. Some of them are back and bicep workouts.
Lower Back Workouts At Home
Having a strong lower back is important. It makes it easy to do your day-to-day activities of lifting things from one place to another. An aching back makes it difficult to even sit down or lie down. Therefore, to keep your lower back fit, there are different exercises that you can do. These back workouts for women can be done at home without the use of a complicated gym machine.
This exercise makes your back muscles flexible. If you are experiencing a painful lower back, these exercises can soothe you. In addition to that, it makes the lower back and glutes stronger. To do the exercise; follow the instructions below;
- Start by kneeling down and then plant your hands in front of you to be in fours. Make sure that your back neutral and flat.
- Then lift your left leg and right arm up to your shoulder height. Pause for a second or more.
- Return your lg and the arm to the ground.
- Then alternate and raise the right leg and the left arm at the same time to the shoulder height. Pause for a second or more.
- Return your leg and hand to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
This exercise is good for strengthening your lower back. In addition to that, the leg raise also works your hips and glutes to a lesser extent. Interestingly, this exercise does not need any equipment, it is one of the best back workouts at home. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Lie flat on the ground and keep your back on the floor. Do not move it off the ground throughout the exercise.
- Then rest your arms by your side and keep your feet close to each other.
- Raise your feet up and make sure that your legs are fully straightened towards the roof.
- Then lower your legs towards the ground and make sure that your back is planted on the floor.
- Return your legs to the starting position.
- Repeat as much as you can.
Back Workouts At Home With Weights
If you have access to free weights at home such as dumbbells, barbells, weighted plates, kettlebells, and many others, you can use them to strengthen your back. The weights are good for challenging your muscles with more resistance. Below are the back workouts at home that you can do to target your back muscles,
The deadlift exercise works a lot of your back muscles such as erector spinae, lats, rhomboids, and many others. It might be a difficult exercise for some women but you can start with lightweight to do it properly without injuring yourself. Below are the instructions that you can follow to do this exercise.
- Start by loading a barbell with weight and make sure that you load weight that you are comfortable with.
- Then position the barbell closer to your shins.
- Bend your waist and knees to grasp the barbell with an overhand grip. Make sure that your hands are at shoulder width apart.
- Rise up with the barbell and let your arms hang straight towards the floor while holding a barbell.
- Lower the barbell to the ground.
- Repeat the movement to do your preferred number of sets and reps.
Dumbbell Alternating Row
If you have access to the dumbbells, you can do the bent over alternating row exercise. It isolates your muscles. The exercise targets your back muscles and arms. It makes them stronger and fit to do the day-to-day activities of lifting objects from one lace to the other. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- While holding a pair of dumbbells, stand with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Bend your upper body to bring your torso parallel to the ground.
- Keep your back neutral and avoid bending it. Make sure that your hands are facing each other.
- Row a dumbbell towards your ribcage and leave the other hand down. Pause for a second before lowering the hand down.
- Alternate and raise the other hand towards the ribcage. Pause for a second and lower it to the floor.
- Repeat the moves and keep on alternating your hands.
Back Workout Routine
There are several back workouts at home or at the gym that you can pick to make up your own routine. For instance, taking the exercises that have been mentioned above, you can pick any other three exercises and create your back workout routine. You can do a deadlift, quad superman, and alternating dumbbell row to form a back workout routine of your choice.
Chest And Back Workout At Home Without Weights
When exercising the chest and back muscles, most people think about lifting heavy weights. However, there are the best chests and back workouts at home that you can do without using any weight. Below are the exercises that you can do to target your chest and back muscles.
This exercise targets your back as well as your chest. It is good for those with aching back. To do the exercise, follow the steps below;
- Start by lying on the floor with your stomach and make sure that your legs are fully stretched. Your arms must be also fully stretched in front of you.
- Then raise your feet and arms off the ground at the same time. Pause for 3 seconds and return your legs and arms down.
- Repeat as much as you can.
This is another exercise that does not need any weight. Push-ups is simple but effective in strengthening your back as well as your chest muscles. Below are the instructions that you can follow to do the exercise;
- Lie down on the floor with your hands at shoulder width apart.
- Stiffen your body and push up your upper body from the floor. Engage the chest and arm muscles.
- Pause in that position for a second. Then lower your body to the floor.
Simple Back Exercises At Home
If you want to do simple back workouts at home, you can consider the exercises that use your body resistance. However, make sure that the exercises are simple but effective in targeting your back muscles. Below are the exercises that you can do;
Lower Back Rotational Stretches
This exercise is good for relieving lower back tightness and tension. Besides working your back muscles, it also works your core, shoulders and neck muscles. To do the exercise, follow the instructions below.
- Lie on your back with feet planted on the floor.
- Stretch your arms sideways on the floor.
- Keep shoulders firm on the floor and roll your bent knees to one side.
- Hold yourself in that position for 10 seconds
- Then roll your knees to the other side and hold for 10 seconds before returning to the starting position.
- You can repeat for 5 times on each side.
Seated Rotational Stretches
This exercise is good for relieving lower back pain. The seated rotational stretches target the spine, lower back, and core muscles. Interestingly, you do this exercise while seated. Follow the instructions below to do the exercise;
- Sit on a chair and plant your feet on the floor.
- Place your right hand behind the head and the left hand on your knee.
- Start by twisting to the right and keep yourself in that position for 10 seconds.
- Then twist to the left side.
- You can repeat 10 to 15 times.
Strengthening your shoulder muscles is good for keeping your posture in good condition. It also makes it easy to do the push and pull activities. There are various exercises that you can do to exercise your shoulder muscles such as deltoids. Exercises that target your shoulders include the bent over lateral raise, reverse fly, bet over front raise, shoulder press, and more. Interestingly, some of these are the shoulder and back workouts.
Having stronger biceps is not ideal for men only. Women can also strengthen their biceps muscles to stay fit. To strengthen your bicep muscles, you shoulder consider doing exercises such as bicep curls, hammer curl cable curl, dumbbell curl, decline push-ups, and other exercises.
Lower Back Exercises At Home
There are many back workouts at home that you can do to make your lower back fit and stronger. Some exercises have been discussed above. For instance, there are back workouts with dumbbells such as the deadlift, bent over row, stiff leg deadlift, and more. However, if you don’t have access to weights you can do exercises such as quad superman, standard superman, push-ups, leg raise, and many others.
Having a strong back cannot be achieved at the gym only. You can do back workouts at home that can make you fit and have a stronger back. For instance, back workouts for women that they can do at home include superman, push-ups, leg raise, and many others.
However, if they have weights, they can do exercises such as the deadlift, kettlebell swing, dumbbell bent over row, and many others mentioned in the above paragraphs. These exercises can be done by women at home with any help because they are easy. Besides that, these are also workouts to get rid of back fat.
Which back exercises would you recommend for women? Share your experiences below.